Interesting Facts About Facebook You Should Know
Facebook is one of the most popular and highly successful social networking sites. Interesting Facts About Facebook, a social media giant. It was founded in February 2004, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States.
Interesting Facts About Facebook
- Facebook has its headquarters in Menlo Park, California, United States.
- Mark Zuckerberg, Eduardo Saverin, Dustin Moskovitz, Andrew McCollum, Chris Hughes are the founding members of the world's most popular social network.
- Facebook owns WhatsApp, Instagram, Oculus VR.
- Facebook, Inc., is an American multi-industry technology company based in Menlo Park, California.
- Initially, Facebook was TheFacebook.com.
- It is one of the Big five companies in the US IT sector along with Google, Apple, Microsoft, and Amazon.
- Apart from the social network, Facebook owns Facebook Messenger, Facebook Watch, and Facebook Portal, Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus, Giphy, and Mapillary.
- Facebook owns 9.9% stakes in Jio Platforms. Jio Platforms is an Indian technology company and a subsidiary of Reliance Industries, headquartered in Mumbai.
- Facebook has Invested $5.7 Billion in Indian Internet Giant Jio in 2020.
- Facebook is a public company. A public company, publicly traded company, publicly held company, publicly listed company, or public limited company is a company whose ownership is organized via shares of stock that are intended to be freely traded on a stock exchange.
- Facebook was founded 17 years ago on February 4, 2004, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Facebook owns the following top brands' Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, WhatsApp, Oculus VR.
- As of June 30, 2020, Facebook has about 52,535 employees.
- The official Facebook website can be accessed at https://about.facebook.com/
- Facebook filed for an initial public offering (IPO) on February 1, 2012.
- Underwriters valued the shares of Facebook at $38 each, pricing the company at $104 billion.
- It was the largest valuation to date for a newly public company.
- One of its first major acquisitions by Facebook happened in April 2012. Facebook acquired Instagram for approximately US$1 billion in cash and stock.
- Onavo was an Israeli mobile web analytics company owned by Facebook, Inc. Facebook acquired Onavo in October 2013.
- In February 2014, Facebook acquired a mobile messaging company WhatsApp for US$19 billion in cash and stock.
- In 2014, Facebook acquired Oculus VR for $2.3 billion in stock and cash, which released its first consumer virtual reality headset in 2016.
- Facebook acquired Beat Games - a VR game studio in 2019.
- In 2020, Facebook acquired Giphy for a reported cash price of $400 million.
- In 2020, Facebook spent $19.7m on lobbying, hiring 79 lobbyists.
- Al Pacino was the first “face” on Facebook. “Zuckerberg’s friend and classmate Andrew McCollum designed a logo using an image of Al Pacino he’d found online that he covered with a fog of ones and zeros—the elementary components of digital media”.